Garden - Walnuts


One of autumns great pleasures is collecting walnuts - especially as we got a huge amount from our daughter and son in law. We planted  a  walnut tree shortly after we had bought our house (1975), but this year the  amount of nuts was very limited and they were all consumed right away. The tree in my daughters garden is very old and always gives bucketfull of nuts. So we got a lot from her and I shell them and dry them, and I guess I will be provided with walnust the whole of next year😃. I crack the nuts and put the nut kernels in one layer on a dish towel . I keep them in room temperature for a couple of days. I then place them in cloth bags and hang them on a clothesline  - still in a place with room temperature. Before I made some cloth bags I used  pillow cases, and that works fine as well  A couple of times a day I give the bag a little shake. When I am sure they are absolutely dry and "rattel" i store them in  tin cans.

Walnuts are excellent in salads, decoration on pies and in cakes. Here is one of my favorites :

Walnut pies ( 20-25 pcs)

1 portion shortcrustPress a nob of shortcrust  dough the size of a walnut into  muffin forms and bake at 200 degrees until they are light brown.  Melt the butter and add sugar, nuts and egg . Put it  on the  half baked  cakes. (1 to 2 tsp on each).  Bake for  addtional  7-8 minutes at 200 degrees. 
Stuffing:
75 g butter
1 dl sugar
2 dl coarsly chopped walnuts
½ egg

Shortcrust for cakes

5 dl flourPut all the  ingredients in a bowl and knead until consistent .
200 g butter
1 dl sugar
1 egg

And as an extra benefit: Walnuts are super healthy💝
Danish


Comments