A Shilling for Candles


A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey.

Some of my favorite authors when it comes to crime novels are:
Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers and Ngaio Marsh. I have pretty much all their novels mostly bought second hand throughout many years. Therefore it was lovely to  discover Josephine Tey.
I like crime novels where the murder is committed in the beginning of the story, and then the focus is on solving the crime. I am not much into all too exciting thriller-like stories.

A shilling for Candles is the 2nd book in  the Inspector Alan Grant series - there is a total of 6.

I have previously  blogged about the first: The Man in the Queue.
I borrowed it from the library, but I am reading  A Shilling for a Candle online on my Chromebook. The novel is from Gutenberg Australien. That is why I had to come up with a picture of my own  😊

The story reminds a lot of the one in the first book. In this it is also an actress, who is being murdered. At first it looks as a bathing accident, but soon bliver Alan Grant is summoned. A young man,  Robert Tisdall , who have stayed with the victim, is  a suspect, and after very nearly being arrested he succeeds in getting away. In this story a very special, young lady is helping the suspect too, while she thinks him innocent. And now no more is to be revealed, but it is an enjoyable read for  fans of English crime fiction from the 30s.

Danish

Comments